Saturday, December 29, 2012

Contemplating the Gift Exchange


Contemplating the dreaded gift exchange, you know what I'm talking about, a group or club you belong to decides to celebrate the holidays with a fun, yet serious, gift exchange with a $10 limit on spending. 

Just to be clear, I do not enjoy this exchange because I am one of those people that end up with the really bad smelling candle and hand lotion that the gift giver was given 3 years prior.  I am the person that puts hours and hours of thought and shopping time in,
 to find the perfect gift that the recipient will be thrilled with.  And I am the person that frets and worries that the recipient will not be happy with the gift they receive.  I do not believe in re-gifting and I do not believe that it is ok to spend $3.95 on sale (marked down from $10) on gift when the decided amount for each gift is $10.  The giver needs to actually spend a full $10 for the gift given.  No exceptions.

Well, I'm sure you can guess where my story goes from here.  Once we moved into our home and settled into our life here in Kentucky, I wanted to join a few social groups in order to meet people and feel a part of the community. 

My first experience this year was with my Homemakers group.  The dollar limit was $10.  Gifts were placed on a table and at the appropriate time the president called out your name and you would pick a present out and bring it back to your seat.  Well, I carefully chose my gift and with bounty in hand I returned to my table.  Each member followed suit and when everyone had their treasure we each tore into our present.  This is where things get crazy!  For the first time, ever, I received a very nice gift.  I received two beautiful scarves and a bottle of very nice bath soap.  SCORE!!! 

Well, before we too excited, there was another gift exchange that I had to go to.  This was for my other social group.  The actual exchange of gifts was a great deal of fun.  A story was written about Right and Left and each time the word 'right' or 'left' the gift you were holding was passed.  Well this is where my bad luck came into play.  I watched other's open their gifts of very nice presents and thought perhaps I would be fortunate enough to receive another very nice gift.  So sorry to report that I am back to receiving the re-gifted, unwanted and cheap gift.  Yes, I am the new owner of a very bad smelling candle and a bottle of lotion that I am not fond of.

The good news for the rest of the 'Gift Exchange' world - this gift stops here.  It will not be regifted, it will not show up at another holiday party.  I will now take my ungrateful self and not complain about the gift exchange again.  However, I do thank you for listening while I unload how I really feel about the holiday gift exchange.

No comments: