Friday, October 3, 2014

Surviving Life Changes


I remember so well the day I lost my Dad.  I knew at that very moment my life would never be the same.  Turns out - I was so right - yet, so very naive about how huge those changes would be.

Those changes were just the beginning of what life had in store for me. Marriage, kids, grand kid, more losses, moves, aging, and more losses.  I find it is in the losses that we grow the most.  I have dealt with all types of losses in my short 55 years, and I'm sure there are many more to come.

The loss of both parents gave me a feeling of abandonment, a feeling that I no longer had someone to run to when needed.  I still feel the need to pick up the phone to call my Mom.  And my Dad has been gone 41 years and I still can hear his voice in my ear keeping me on the straight and narrow.

Second hand lost - now that is a thinker.  You know the relationships that have been lost due to other situations beyond your control.  I have misplaced a few friends due to second hand lost.  But, the worse second hand lost that I have had to endure is that of my brother.  I will never be able to understand how that happened.

My latest lost is that of a wonderful friend.  This one simply due to life's Changes.  We all have to answer to ourselves when it comes to make major changes in our lives.  Tim and I made a huge change when we move south a few years ago.  We had to leave life-long friends behind.  And now I know the Feeling of being left behind.  There are no regrets, no feelings of betrayal, no denying opportunities.  Just a sad feeling of missing a good friend.

So, enjoy each moment you have with your family, your friends, and even your coworkers.
Be kind to strangers and give credit where credit is due.
Spread a little PEACE around!

No comments: